Tuesday, May 15, 2007

... is for Elinor

Well, it's been an interesting week! Disregard what I said last time about "sleeping better". Now she doesn't seem to sleep at all! Caitlin estimates maybe 2-3 hours during the day and maybe the same amount at night... Maybe.

Caitlin's been running a fever on and off the last couple of days, which makes the "always awake" baby even more evident. We did get a nice break yesterday though... Kurty came by with cute little Frances (you'll remember her from the Baby Shower post)! We brought them to Elinor's favorite coffee-shop and hung around the apartment, so that was nice. And for us, it's good to see a baby with another year under her belt. There is just so much to look forward to!

But these early days are good, in their own funny way... Just more overwhelming than we had expected. We knew the saying that being a mother is a full-time job, but we didn't realize that they meant the "24 hour a day" full-time... It seems that Caitlin is always either engaged in feeding the baby or is attemping to get a few moments of rest. And though Midge was adapting to sleeping in her basket, she is past that now. It's on the bed, or nothing. Her sleeping in the bed is what has enabled me to get sleep at night, but it certainly hasn't helped that for Caitlin.

Since I can't do much for feeding, most of my time home with the baby (the few hours that she isn't eating) I work to calm her down, and I've been getting daring! Though I cannot get her to calm down in the New Native Carrier anymore, I plopped her in her crib for a brief moment again, and actually managed to get her to sit calmly (yes, awake) in the electro-swingy chair for 20 minutes once! But normally I bounce on the ball with her (and sneak some minutes at the computer, while trying to get her to stop starting at the monitor), talk to her, sing to her, play with her hands and legs... Honestly, though Caitlin spends quite a bit more time with her than I do, I think that I get more fun face time with her... Which hardly seems fair.

Speaking of that... I cannot get enough of watching her arms and legs flail...







5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

so freakin' cute! ack i wish i could come over and hang out!!!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Tricia said...

that cutie is a mover and a shaker!

Caitlin, I hope you are feeling better soon. If I were there I would rub your head for you and feed you yummy things.

Little E...let your mum and pop sleep sometimes...there's lots to see in this world, but it doesn't have to be all at once!!!

:O)

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are doinng great! Also, Kurty and Frances sound like real pips.

9:37 PM  
Blogger no more shall we part said...

she is just getting cuter with every passing day dearies!
so, when are you going to join my maryjane's farmgirl chapter cait?!
let's whoop it up soon...come over and i'll bake you something yummy!
xoxo,
b

2:52 PM  
Blogger Martha Marin said...

Caitlin - You're awesome. I hope you feel better soon. Being a sick mom is the WORST THING IN THE LAND. There is no staying in bed and watching tv all day. Thanks for the comment yesterday!

Elinor - You're beautiful. Geez.

Dad - Well done.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home