Monday, May 21, 2007

right, wrong? fair to middlin'?

There is so much to think about, some of which becomes very easy.

I was torn between the Digital Pictures? Real pictures? And then Caitlin took a CD of digital pictures of the baby to Fred Meyer's and for 19 cents each, got them printed. They look really good, nice colors, nice matte finish, nice white borders (for those old enough to remember white borders, nothing else looks right, it would be like a painting without a frame). So that makes it an easier decision.

And then? Cloth or disposable. Well, we wanted disposable and now, after 5 weeks of alternating back and forth (mainly cloth, disposable for convenience) we have decided to make the move away from Cloth. Honestly, we can't afford to do both and the baby really doesn't like the wetness of the cloth and she dirties her diaper covers very quickly. It's funny how all of these rules and notions can go away so easily.

Speaking of that. There is also this...

The television monster. First I must get this out of the way. I am not a TV person. I haven't been since I was a teenager... Over 20 long years ago. The computer and movies have long supplanted that device. In fact, the last time I lived alone, for the first year the TV was connect just to the DVD player, I never even once attempted to find out if I even could get a signal. Occasionally I would see a few minutes of television at one particular bar I went to. But no, no TV. It just doesn't seem odd to me. Shows? News? None of it means anything to me so... I'm just saying that I may have an inherent bias (I do), and it maybe also be easier for me to say, like someone who has never been a smoker condemning smoking (which is also the case)...

But now it hits a more personal note. I wonder, Is there something wrong with a persons first days/weeks/months on earth having daytime tv as the background to their everyday? The endless loud commercials and the show hosts who seems to exists in a realm of: yelling, interrupting, commanding (Dr. Phil), chastising... We don't play much music around her, so aside from us talking, it really is what she hears. I realize it probably doesn't have any effect, but like everything else, I feel the need to think it over.

What is also gnawing at me is... When Mom's talk to babies during, say, The View, can the baby discern the difference between what Rosie's voice is and what their mother's voice is? That one is a real person? I realize that they may be too young to make a difference, but I still find it hard not to ponder.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elinor thinks her dad is Dr. Phil ...

8:09 PM  
Blogger penguindevil said...

You aren't kidding, when I see his show, I feel like he's everybody's dad.

Why does he have to be so right all of the time?

12:20 AM  
Blogger C L Rousseau said...

Jon says keep the kid from hearing that horrible machine (especially that horrible Dr. Phil!!!).

Thanks for the updates, I love hearing about all your thoughts and the entire process.

3:37 AM  
Blogger penguindevil said...

Well, thanks for reading!

It's a great and crazy experience and I love posting these little updates.

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home