Sunday, June 24, 2007

the continuing saga...

I think that we have hit 7 straight nights of Midge getting 7-8 hours of solid sleep in her crib. It certainly changes things! Away have flown my silly thoughts of "nothing but co-sleeping for us"! Let her have her own bed. Plus, she always wakes up right around 7 which is just perfect for me.

What else? Well she still is getting greater and greater. Her joy in seeing people and her actually having an interest in things (ceiling fans, light fixtures...if they're shaped just right) is also exciting and so she just gets more and more fun. And more and more calm. Not that she doesn't still freak-out, but she is more and more happy to just lay around and flail her arms and legs and make her funny sounds... Which have gotten a lot louder.

She had her doctors appointment this week. Which we had been eagerly awaiting, since it had been 8 weeks since her last one. She is still tall, but not as heavy as we might have thought (only 11.5 pounds)... Of course, what made it exciting and made me both glad and sad that I wasn't there... Seemingly it was vaccination time! Um, yay?

Of course, the doctor is all for vaccinations and Caitlin has some questions and concerns about them but me? I pretty much oppose everything but the Tetanus one. Not only that, but I have misgivings about why 2 month old babies get vaccinated against all sorts of things that it is highly unlikely that they will be at risk for during their infant time. It just all seems odd to me, but then again, I have concerns about anything (vaccinations, fluoride, no water bottles on planes, prescription medications, the war in Iraq, taxation) that the "powers that be" not only expect us to buy into but also act like we are insane/traitorous/gullible/idiot/communists if we have the gall to even ask questions about them. I realize that it sort of is shirking ones societal role to try and avoid these things, but when I realize that the only way to get polio on this continent seems to be to get the polio vaccination and that they are vaccinating infants against Hep B, and vaccinating kids against chicken pox (when I always thought that the best way to deal with chicken pox was to have your child catch it)... I want to be sure that they are the right thing.

Honestly, I would rather someone get sick due to accidental exposure to germs or viruses than have them get sick in an attempt to not get sick. But really what throws me off is the early age at which these vaccinations occur and that it seems like they are looking for vaccinations for everything that anyone anywhere might ever get? All I can say is that if you are planning on vaccinating your baby, but you aren't quite sure about it... Don't read any books about it (I chose Vaccine Guide: Risks and Benefits for Children and Adults) because they will freak you out! Go to Amazon and type in vaccination and look at the books that come up, read some of them and then try to go through the 30+ vaccinations with an easy mind. Though, yes, at some level I know that I'm making a big deal out of nothing and that 99%+ of kids get nothing but a fever from these treatments... I guess it's just my Beatnik bloodlines...

Anyway, I don't mean (or hope) to start any kind of outrage, but that's what I'm thinking about this week... That and finding some cute pictures of Elinor! Including some of her first time in her first pair of jeans!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home