Monday, August 20, 2007

Truth and Consequences

I though I would start off with some pictures of our little couch potato, relaxing at home after a long week at Mabel's... All lit up:


And in her peaceful yellow phase:


Obviously, she is still blisteringly cute and fun as can be, but okay, now down to business. I have always wondered how people can part with their pets once they have a baby. Honestly though, last year when we were looking for an apartment, we considered sending Lottie to Vermont. A dog makes it tricky and expensive to get a reasonable place around here. Well, we didn't, but now with the baby? The thought does occur to me.

One thing that I didn't realize before having a baby is that truly, from day one (yes, still in the hospital), my main thought would be "Will she sleep?". Now, after four months of trying to get her to sleep, or nap or something... The dog becomes too much. Elinor sleeps very lightly... The dogs claws tapping on the wood floor? The dog rolling around on her back on the rug? The dog whimpering in her sleep (poor paranoid little thing)? All of it can wake the baby up! To spend an hour trying toget her down and then a minute after she goes to bed to have Lottie wander in, clicking away with her feet and the baby's eyes pop open? Sometimes it is just too much. But honestly, I don't think we would be a content family without her.

And... Well, it isn't all the dogs fault. After spending so much time trying to get her to sleep, and then hoping for her to stay asleep, at least for a little while, you start to fear things. I fear walking around at night, taking much at night, walking into the bedroom (creaky wood floor), going to the bathroom, brushing my teeth, feeding the dog... Sometimes I also want her to wake up, just so I can get to the bathroom and bedroom without feeling paranoid that I'm am waking her.

The most important thing in the land is two fold.. 1) Getting Elinor to sleep so we can have some time to relax and, 2) Getting Elinor to sleep so she won't be fussy the next day. Everything else in the day seems to revolve around that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Misha said...

Can't wait to smooch and tickle that little Midge!

1:09 PM  
Blogger penguindevil said...

And we can't wait to get our hands on little Blix!

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home